The Chief Archivian

Story: Daleks! - The Archive of Islos
Written By: James Goss
Length: 15 Minutes
Year: 2020

While the world was in quarantines and pandemics and trying to get rid of would-be dictators before they can destroy the free world...Doctor Who was rolling out a multi-media event known as "Time Lord Victorious." I have read the first two Titan Comics entries and listened to some of the Big Finish audios.  I will also likely read Doctor Who Magazine’s offering as well.  I don't know if I will get to the novels or anything else.  Some of the entries in this are immersive events and escape rooms...and those are only going to be available to those who live in the UK.  But the idea was that you don't need everything to get the main idea of the story. 

And so we land here, with this cartoon show released on YouTube and starring the Daleks.  This first episode has the titular evil aliens, lead by the Dalek Emperor and the shabby looking Strategist, as they attempt to overtake an Archive for some unknown reason. After leveling the surrounding city they manage to convince the robot caretakers to give them the archive, but it seems the Daleks were tricked!

I watched this first episode and began this review when it initially aired, but it was a complex time, as I mentioned, and as a result I got distracted and didn’t finish it. So I have rewatched the opening episode and intend on finally reviewing it all here. My impressions are that the series is mildly interesting. I am curious as to where it all goes. I will say most of the Time Lord Victorious stuff (at least what I had experienced) seemed less like a multi-media crossover event, and more like random Doctor Who adventures that feature some minor recurring elements. I suppose that might be the result of trying to make sure it can all work on it’s own without the need of other material. But I wonder if you really needed to see it all to get how it all pieced together. 

This opening episode is intriguing. I don’t think it is terrible story wise, though it is clearly just the beginning of a story and is thus hard to judge on it’s own. The animation is pretty crummy though. I mean the Daleks are easy to make look good in CG, but the explosions and city scapes? They look so cheap and outdated. But for a cheap online animated show made on what I assume is a very limited budget, I suppose I can let that slide. 

 NEXT TIME: Pursued by the Entity

Comments