Iraxxa

Story: Empress of Mars
Written By: Mark Gatiss
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2017

I have given "The Empress of Mars" a couple of watches, and I have to say it just doesn't thrill me. I don't hate it by any stretch, I just found it kind of by the numbers and I think my own general disinterest in the Ice Warriors leaves me a bit cold (pun absolutely not intended).  There are things I like, the juxtaposition of Victorian soldiers on Mars is neat, and the way that people were curled up into balls whenever the Ice Warriors shot them was fun.  The whole idea of it seems more entertaining in theory than it ever does for me in execution.
That all said it is probably on the higher end of Mark Gatiss episodes, below his previous Ice Warrior entry ("Cold War") for me, but not as fun as "The Crimson Horror." In a way this almost seems like a cross between Gatiss' two Series 7 entries, with the Victorian fun stuff mixed with the Ice Warriors...I just didn't think it did anything terribly special with a premise that is, admittedly, kind of fun.

I don't hate it, but the Ice Warriors are always lower tier Classic Who monsters for me, so when they return it doesn't fill me with excitement.  If you are a fan of the Ice Warriors, no doubt this will entertain and excite, and if you are a fan of the Peladon stories (of which I am most definitely not!), then there is a nice little treat for you at the end.

Passable entertainment, but of this series so far, I'd rank it near the bottom of my list. 

NEXT TIME: The Ninth Legion

Comments