River's Run

Story: Forest of the Dead
Written By: Steven Moffat
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2008

I've had to rewrite this entire review, because rewatching this two-parter AFTER having season Series 5 has changed my whole perspective. River is now not only tolerable, but sort of likable, and some of the little lines that had previously annoyed me and just felt like she was reminding the audience who she is in the Doctor's future...suddenly feel more natural and actually like hints of things to come (like saying she trusts him to the end of the universe, and that they've been!)
So having this turnaround has changed my whole thought process on these two episodes. I have always liked Donna's Dream World, and the reveal of who and what CAL is, and the whole little girl thing in general (she is CAL). These things have just felt more improved by having the episode around them seem better in my new River Song-liking eyes.

I must say that if you are watching the series in order like me, then you might have had a similar reaction as I did (my brother actually had similar thoughts too). Trust me, with future events, these episodes really seem a lot better...and the River arc hasn't even finished yet (who knows when it will too)...I'd say that after a couple of strong episodes if I am turned...who knows what the future will bring. Definitely a winning episode now in my book.

I do find the conclusion with River and Co. in the Library computer to still leave some puzzling questions on my mind, but it really did not hurt the enjoyment of the episode.

NEXT TIME: What could possibly go wrong?

Comments