The Repulsive Red Leech

Story: The Crimson Horror
Written By: Mark Gatiss
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2013

Mark Gatiss pens another Doctor Who script this series (he also wrote "Cold War"), this one set in Victorian Yorkshire.  The Doctor must love the Victorian days! (or the writers do).  The episode is one of Gatiss' better entries, certainly more interesting than his Dickens episode from Series 1, which is pretty forgettable in the long run. I have nothing against Gatiss, but I have this sinking feeling that they are trying to prime him to takeover for Moffat when the Grand Moff inevitably takes his leave of the program....and unlike Moffat, Gatiss doesn't really write episodes that stand out and make you think he has what it takes to be a head writer.  Unless he is holding his really good stuff back until he gets the job or something.
Beyond my future "behind the scenes" thoughts, I think this was a decent episode.  I thought it took a while to get the Doctor involved, but I do enjoy Vastra, Jenny, and Strax as characters, so they were a welcome addition to this episode.  Could've used more Strax though.  I thought Diana Rigg was goofy fun as the villain, and the little cheesy puppet felt like classic Who!  Real cheap monsters kind of fun.

I enjoyed the episode on the whole, I don't think Gatiss ever writes any scripts that are mind blowing, but some of them, like this one, can be quite enjoyable standard Who fare. Sadly that seems to be the best he an do as a writer, enjoyable but standard.

NEXT TIME: The Last Cybermen

Comments