Mickey the Idiot

Story: The Age of Steel
Written By: Tom MacRae
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2006

This is a strong conclusion to the Cybus-Men (as geeks dubbed them to make sure no one thinks they are the real deal…losers) origin story. The action is better here. Though the cliffhanger resolution didn’t thrill me, but it gets better from there. I think most of the supporting characters work really well as a team effort, and the story is really well served by that. If they didn't work, I'm not sure this would have.
The Cybermen are introduced to a new audience, and its all the good for it in my opinion...well almost all the good. I could have really done without "Delete, Delete" as a poor-man's "Exterminate" catchphrase. In the old series they used to say "Excellent" a lot. That was better...a little subtler, and not a cheap knock off of the more popular villain.

What I really dig is the transformation of Mickey. He goes from bumbling idiot, to slightly more mature idiot, to badass action hero. He decides to stay in the parallel Earth to fight the good fight in the end, and Rose and the Doctor head home. Go Mickey. Be a hero.

NEXT TIME: Sonic Doom

Comments