The One-Eyed Monster

Story: The Idiot's Lantern
Written By: Mark Gatiss
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2006

Though the monster is kind of annoying in this story (“feeeeeeed meeeeee!”) it is actually still pretty decent. The creepy imagery of the faceless people is great, and Tennant is really Doctor-ish in the end: running down the street while simultaneously inventing an invention to save the day. VCR? Pretty clever.
If they had just toned down the monster it would have been a fantastic episode, but it annoys me so much when I watch this episode that I always feel I must deduct it points.

I think Mark Gatiss is probably one of the weaker links in Doctor Who writing and performing. He wrote this and "The Unquiet Dead" from Series 1, and appears on screen later in "The Lazarus Experiment" in Series 3. His writing is sub-par, never the strongest, and his acting is far worse. I feel that way about anything I've heard of his, again both performance and writing wise, in the Big Finish audios. I'm sure he is a nice guy and I can tell he loves this show a lot, but I don't think he's worth putting on the writing staff, or considering as an acting choice.

NEXT TIME: Sanctuary Base

Comments