The Crash of the Byzantium

Story: The Time of Angels
Written By: Steven Moffat
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2010

Back on track, the first part to this Moffat two-parter is pretty thrilling and good. I'd say the return of River, a character I didn't care for in her first appearance, is an improvement. She's a little less smug, although there are moments of know-it-all smugness that seep through.
The Angels are underplayed, I expect them to be a little heavier in the conclusion, but they are effective nonetheless here. I think the rapport between Amy and the Doctor is still pretty solid, and I found that I wish they had more scenes together in this episode. I much prefer Smith's rapport with Kingston than I did with her and Tennant. Granted I supposed it was meant to be a bad rapport given the circumstances, but I think this was more enjoyable to watch. That being said I could've done without song and had more scenes with Smith and Gillan.

I think the question of just who exactly Song is being well played by Moffat. I still think I like the idea more than the execution, but maybe that will change in the conclusion or in her future episodes (she is bound to appear again). I did like that they hinted at the whole Wife fan theory and pretty much debunked it. I like that Moffat has this idea that its far more complicated than the Doctor getting hitched.

NEXT TIME: The Crack Gets Noticed

Comments