Starry, Starry Night

Story: Vincent and the Doctor
Written By: Richard Curtis
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2010

I really tire of the need for this show to shoehorn in a "historical figure" into an episode each season. I do prefer it when it just takes place in a historical time. Especially if the episode isn't going to do anything but kiss this dead person's ass for 45 minutes. I liked the Agatha Christie episode, mostly because it didn't focus on how awesome she is until the end. Most of the episode is just a zany comedy. The fact that Churchill already made his appearance this season, makes this episode even more tiresome. Set it in the past: YES. Have a historical figure: NO.
So the Van Gogh episode. There are some moments, but not nearly the amount that would make this episode just the tiniest bit interesting. I think the title is about as boring as the whole episode. I feel like Richard Curtis, who once did great things like Blackadder, has just become lazy. He writes shit like "Love, Actually" now, and then theres this...it just didn't work for me.

The story tries to be interesting, and there are some unique ideas, but the execution is so completely dull that I can't defend the episode. I was just sort of bored through too many moments.

Oh and if you want a historical figure dear writers? How about doing something OTHER than having the Doctor and Co. go on and on about how AWESOME the character is. DULL. I would prefer it if like once or twice the Doctor met someone, and just thought they were another person. I just wish he met them and thought "you were pretty good, but so am I." Not this "Charles Dickins is the best writer ever, and so is Shakespeare, and Agatha Christie too and don't forget what a great painter Van Gogh and all of these people were the best ever. EVER." It really loses my interest. These historical figures just get too much love from these writers who happen to be fans.

So weak episode, lets hope for a winner next week.

NEXT TIME: A Clinical Finish

Comments