Robin Hood

Story: Robot of Sherwood
Written By: Mark Gatiss
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2014

Mark Gatiss once again pens a story that is okay, but not really terribly brilliant.  The Doctor lets Clara decide their next destination, but he quickly dismisses her choice as she wants to meet Robin Hood...who is fictional.  He takes her to the supposed whereabouts of Robin Hood anyhow...only to find that he is there!  Also there are Robots.  So the Doctor and Clara help Robin Hood take down the Sheriff of Nottingham and his Robot Minions, while the Doctor has a pissing contest with Robin Hood.
It has it's moments, but I wasn't terribly thrilled with the story.  Like a good chunk of Gatiss's material for Who, it just feels average. I don't mean to say that this episode doesn't have fun moments or neat elements, and Capaldi is in even better form here...but the episode just lacked the "umph" to really make me feel like I was having a rollicking god time. I was not surprised to discover Gatiss wrote the episode after I watched it (I somehow missed it during the credits).  Still there is good stuff to be found here, but just not as strong a script as the previous two entries this series. 

NEXT TIME: Ghosts of the Past and Future

Comments