Plastic Disease

Story: Praxeus
Written By: Pete McTighe and Chris Chibnall
Length: 50 Minutes
Year: 2020

I can already sense dissent among the crowd.  If it is one thing that Who fans seem keen to take aim at the current incarnation of the show, it is perceived preachiness.  Chibnall has used his platform on Who as something of a soapbox.  Personally, I am into it.  It doesn't always work...but he's trying something.  Better than the show being as rudderless as so many claim. 
In all seriousness, I thought this was a fun adventure.  It had solid pacing, and I enjoyed that the villain turned out to not really be intentionally evil aliens, but more misguided jerks trying their best to salvage their own race, but using humans as a test for a cure for the very disease wiping them out.  And that disease wreaks havoc on individuals by expanding the plastic inside them.  And since Earth is full of plastic pollution and humans and animals have certainly imbibed plenty of it in our lifetimes...we are prime candidates to be wiped out by this disease. 

At least this one didn't have a big preachy speech at the end. I didn't love "Orphan 55,"  but I certainly didn't hate it as so many seemed to.  I know that ending speech seemed to really put so many people off. This one has a premise about plastic pollution being a catalyst for the problem, but I never felt it was too preachy.  It may hammer home the premise that Earth is polluted.  But since the problem of plastic throughout our oceans is so often ignored, I'll appreciate Who taking a proper stand on the issue. 

NEXT TIME: Ancient Aleppo

Comments