Stormageddon

Story: Closing Time
Written By: Gareth Roberts
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2011

Decent episode, but not as good as the rest of this season has been. I’d say it is a cut above “The Curse of the Black Spot” in terms of quality. It doesn’t really match the level of entertainment I found in last season’s “The Lodger” which introduced Craig, and it also isn’t the best Cybermen tale (but then again I’ve seen worse as well).
The episode really has the Doctor worrying about his impending doom, while trying to stop the Cybermen and teach Craig to be a dad. The ending is a little too simple, with Craig managing to stop his Cyber-conversion and destroy the Cybermen with “love”. I know Roberts tried to write around the fact that it wasn’t really love...but really it is essentially the solution. Shame.

The very end, with hints of next week and answering who the Impossible Astronaut was (if you were unsure of your suspicions, yes it really is River) was well done and got me ready for next week.

I’m not sure this episode kept the momentum this second half had going as strong, but it worked for me enough, I enjoyed it, and I’m still excited for the exciting conclusion to come next week.

NEXT TIME: To Lake Silencio

Comments