Russian Submarine

Story: Cold War
Written By: Mark Gatiss
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2013


I wasn't one that was clamoring to have the Ice Warriors return.  Sure, "The Ice Warriors" is a classic story from the original series, but for whatever reason I'm just not a huge fan of these monsters.  Plus I never liked the Peladon stories...when it comes to monsters in the snow from the Troughton era, I'm always gonna go with the Yeti and the Great Intelligence, which is why I enjoyed "The Snowmen" so much (while I'd still love to see the Yeti again, I'm happy that the Great Intelligence has made two returns this season so far, and I hope for more).  So seeing as I am not a huge fan of the Ice Warriors on the whole, I have to admit that I did enjoy this return.


They kept the suit surprisingly similar to the original lumbering rubber suit, which was kind of fun in a hokey sort of way, yet they still made the monster scary.  The plot is similar in some ways to 2005's "Dalek", with the lone monster reeking havoc on a small group in a confined space underground/underwater.  Though this has splashed of "The Hunt for Red October" to it, as it takes place in a Russian Sub...which is totally awesome in my opinion.  

Since I've enjoyed watching "The Ice Warriors", "The Seeds of Death", and this episode, I don't know what my problem with this particular monster is.  I think part of what helped this episode for me in particular is that the Ice Warrior was hidden for a lot of it, which was fun.  Fans of the Ice Warrior monsters should probably enjoy this, or they'll just hate it because everything new is bad...but as for me, I thought this was one of the good returns for a Who monster.  Bring on the 50th Anniversary and the Zygons! 

NEXT TIME: Ghost Story

Comments