The Return of the Silurians

Story: Cold Blood
Written By: Chris Chibnall
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2010

About as lackluster as Part One. Its unfortunate that the return of the Silurians feels so lame. Granted they were never as cool as the Sea Devils, but still, I was rather excited to see what the New Series could do with them. Turns out nothing new or interesting. Its sort of a boring diplomat spin on the same old Silurian tale from 1970. This two-part bore only confirms what "Warriors of the Deep" proved in the 80s...the Silurians/Sea Devil/Homo-Reptilians belong to the Pertwee era.
I found this episode to be just dull, much like the first part, and I wish it had more to it. The characters just weren't there, and some of the plot holes from the first were never dealt with, forgotten, or poorly executed. Chibnall just isn't that strong a writer. 42 was worthless, as was the first season of Torchwood which he was showrunner of. I liked many of his efforts from Torchwood's second season so I was hopeful that maybe he would redeem himself in the parent show with this two-parter, but I feel he just plain did not. Beyond Amy's Choice, I have been less than thrilled with the non-Moffat penned scripts this season. Victory of the Daleks didn't feel like it lived entirely up to its potential (it does get slightly better upon repeat viewings, but it still feels a tad anti-climatic), Vampires of Venice was decent but still not too special, and with this two-parter I feel yet again let down. Thank God for Moffat, his writing is just as creative as ever...but at this point, god help the series when it comes time for him to leave.

The Death of Rory is sort of unfortunate, I liked having him around, but the implication seems to say there is more to his death than meets the eye. The cracks involvement screams future events for me. The reveal that the TARDIS may have some involvement in the Cracks existence is both exciting and kinda obvious. But I like it.

NEXT TIME: Van Gogh

Comments