Planet of the Nutty Daleks

Story: Asylum of the Daleks
Written By: Steven Moffat
Length: 50 Minutes
Year: 2012

It's been a while! It's been about 9 months since the last Christmas Special, and the Doctor and the gang finally return to our screens. It is a fun return, a mostly entertaining episode that brings the Doctor and his oldest enemies back to the screen in a big flashy entertaining way, without making the story about the Daleks trying to overtake the Earth or something equally-tired out. I enjoyed the surprise appearance of Jenna-Louise Coleman as Oswin Oswald...who knows if that is who she will be playing when she takes over the companion role in Christmas, but her appearance here definitely warmed me up to her immediately. Even if she is playing another character, I liked the actress plenty.
The only thing I had trouble buying or going with was the Amy-Rory relationship trouble storyline. I don't buy that they'd break up, even for the reasons Moffat came up with. Certainly there are relationships that fall apart because of similar reasons, but I just didn't buy these two giving it up because of it (either one, even if it was mostly Amy doing the kicking out). Then the whole thing seemed resolved just by them actually talking to each other about the situation...they never tried that?

I don't really care for the Human-Dalek mash-up things...I love the classic Dalek because it is completely un-human. But not too much to complain about really: I rather enjoyed the kickoff to the long-awaited season. Ready for more...hopefully we can do less waiting this time around.

NEXT TIME: Jurassic Spaceship

Comments