Dining With Monsters

Story: Boom Town
Written By: Russell T. Davies
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2005

“Boom Town” is an improvement upon the earlier appearance of the Slitheen. But overall it isn’t all that exciting. For me it’s a sort of letdown, for I feel like from “Dalek” to “Doctor Dances” we get a solid string of episodes (despite what anyone says of “Long Game”), and this episode feels rather bland and mediocre.
That all said it has its moments, the Doctor out to dinner with the Slitheen is well executed. Jack also works pretty great, and you get the sense that time has passed since the end of "The Doctor Dances", and he is fully integrated into the crew. I like this trio. I think I like trios in Who, and they don't do them enough. First-Steven-Vicki, Second-Jamie-Zoe, Fourth-Sarah Jane-Harry, and Ninth-Rose-Jack. Great team ups, with a trio you can get a lot more done I think. You get the companion to stick with the Doctor and ask all those questions, and the companion that is separated adding tothe plot line.

At any rate, one important aspect that the episode reveals is the Heart of the TARDIS and its powers. That'll pay off later.

NEXT TIME: Space Games

Comments