Showdown with the Guardian

Story: Enlightenment
Written By: Barbara Clegg
Length: 4 Episodes
Year: 1983

This story is really good. If I didn't feel like you'd have to watch the whole of the Black Guardian trilogy to enjoy it, I'd put it on my Peter Davison list. Maybe the whole trilogy would go on, but I'd say that the first is weak.
It must be said that even though for most of the 80s and the end of the 70s I would agree with the assertion that things looked hokey and cheap special effects wise, that is not the case with "Enlightenment". The sailing ships in space are a beautiful piece of model shots, and they deserve more credit than the Classic series ever gets. But all people want to talk about is how much this show had wobbly sets. I don't think I saw a wobbly set except for maybe once or twice in the 60s when that kind of thing was a little more acceptable, and then again in the Colin Baker's days as the Doctor.

All in all good serial, ends the Black Guardian Trilogy.

NEXT TIME: The Android

Comments