Doctor Who and the Doomsday Weapon

Story: Colony in Space
Written By: Malcolm Hulke
Length: 6 Episodes
Year: 1971

Part of me would really like to see this story again, but I don't have time right now for a 6-parter. From what I recall, this was a hit or miss story. Some parts were entertaining, others fell flat and felt boring. The Master's involvement didn't feel quite right, felt more forced than his other appearances in Season 8, but Roger Delgado is still amazing...he is most likely my favorite villain, of all the Masters, Daleks, and Cybermen.
Also this story was a tad padded from what I remember. After rewatching "Claws of Axos" and being pleasantly surprised, I wonder if I'm remembering this wrong as well. But I seem to feel that had this story been condensed into 4 parts, moved to Season 9 and removed the Master storyline, it would have worked far better.

This story is notable however, as being the Third Doctor and Jo's first trip in the TARDIS, and the first trip to another planet for the Third Doctor ever. Its the first time we've gotten a trip in the TARDIS since the War Games. The Time Lords force the Doctor to solve a problem for them...it feels almost like a punishement and a reward for the Doctor.

NEXT TIME: One of the Best of the Series

Comments