Year of Doom

Story: Day of the Daleks
Written By: Louis Marks
Length: 4 Episodes
Year: 1972

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the Dalek stories in the Pertwee Years. Part of that I'm sure is that he himself wasn't a huge fan of the Daleks as an enemy, so I think he didn't play off them quite as well as Troughton in Evil, or Hartnell in his stories. I do like "Planet of the Daleks" and "Death to the Daleks" has a few good moments, but I personally feel that Day and Death were both rather forgettable and not fantastic as either Doctor Who or just Dalek stories. If you want to see a good Pertwee/Dalek story, go with "Planet of the Daleks", and watch "Frontier in Space" immediately beforehand.
"Day of the Daleks" is not unwatchable, and its a decent season opener, and it is the story that brought the Daleks back...as they had not been seen since their supposed demise at the end of "Evil of the Daleks". The Ogrons are introduced here, and they serve as the Dalek servants throughout the Pertwee Era Dalek stories.

Like I said, personally I'm not the hugest fan, I find the other Pertwee's far more interesting and new. Others disagree.

NEXT TIME: Oh Dear...

Comments