Doctor Who: Season Two Recap

The second season is stronger than the first.  Less stories involve the crew being imprisoned as a plot device. The stories are a little more original as well, and with the exception of "The Web Planet", I enjoyed nearly every one of them, even "The Chase"...which though I complain about it as not being very funny and its bad writing, I have to admit i enjoyed it myself (many people do not agree with me on that point though).

The cast changes are important in this season. They could have made or broke the show. The ease in which the transitions occurred here are fantastic, and the funny thing is...the changes work better than the originals. Vicki is far superior to Susan, and Steven is a fine replacement for the Ian/Hero type. It almost feels like the writers figured out what worked and what didn't, and the original companions were just test runs for what they should really be.

The cast changes really showed the staying power of the show in a way. The idea that characters would come and go probably just helped create the decision that so could the Doctors. Though they only together for the final story of the season, I really do love the Doctor/Steven/Vicki team, and I enjoyed them in action.

Season Two comes to an end, and we head into Season 3

NEXT TIME: The Robot Villains That Didn't Work

Comments