13 Bannerman Road

Story: The Sarah Jane Adventures: Invasion of the Bane
Written By: Gareth Roberts and Russell T Davies
Length: 60 Minutes
Year: 2007

I need a refresher of a lot of Torchwood at the moment, so before I can go back and re-watch, I will review what I can still mostly remember spin-off wise...Sarah Jane Adventures.
This 60 minute pilot of a more children based spin off of Doctor Who is just okay. I wouldn't say it blew me away, but there were elements I liked and didn't like. I liked Sarah Jane. I like the introduction of her "son", a boy genius created in a laboratory by the Bane for their addictive soft drink scheme. Luke is a good character, mostly because as a boy genius, he tries to lay low...not like a Wesley Crusher or Adric who try to shove it in everyone's face that he's a boy genius...Luke has actual issues communicating with people due to his brain activity, and that is a welcome character development. None of that is seen in this episode mind you, but it didn't take long for the writers to get there.

I don't really like Maria, our main kid we are stuck following. And I didn't like her obnoxious friend who introduces her to Bubble Shock. But luckily Maria is only in the first season, and the other girl is only in this episode.

The villains, the Bane, are pretty cool and they work well for a kids show. I would say that as far as being a kids show, at times it is painfully clear they are writing for children...but when they stop talking down to their audience this episode, and this show, can be pretty damned good.

NEXT TIME: The Slitheen Return

Comments