Doctor Who - The Revival: Series 2 Recap

Overall I think this season is pretty damn good. It’s consistent that’s for sure. Yet, I kind of never think of it as a favorite for some reason. I think it’s the feeling of the season, it’s like a really lighthearted counterpart to Series 1, or even Series 3.

The Torchwood thing is pretty pointless, they spend the whole season leading us on to Torchwood, and then Torchwood plays only a minor role in the finale. They play second banana to the Cybermen who in turn end up playing second banana to the Daleks.

My feelings about the Doctor and Rose are as follows: Series 1, the 9th Doctor meets Rose, he's battle scarred and closed off, he wants no friends. So at first he kind of brushes off, tries to forget her, but then he can't. She ends up saving him against the Autons and he drags her along. She slowly helps him shed his armor until that finale. He saves her life, kills himself and regenerates. Suddenly he loses a bit of his guilt. And throughout this lighthearted fun season I think he is a little too happy go lucky. Losing Rose snaps him back to reality...he can lose. So Rose and hte Doctor have a more playful relationship in this season. It kind of works when you think about it.

What doesn't work for me...is the rapport between Billie Piper and David Tennant. I like both, but for some reason I don't believe their relationship the way I believed In Piper and Eccleston.

But this season gave us “Girl in the Fireplace,” “Impossible Planet/Satan Pit,” “School Reunion,” and a pretty great two-part finale. So I must say it’s a winner.

NEXT TIME: Always a Bridesmaid...

Comments