Torchwood - Series 3 Recap

After Series 2 ended, I kind of felt like Torchwood could go one way or the other from then out. It could have gotten better or worse, but if it just maintained that same level of quality then I'd be satisfied. I was really shocked when they announced that in the midst of the Doctor Who gap year we were only getting 5 episodes of Torchwood as well. So limited Doctor Who and Torchwood? Only full season we get is Sarah Jane Adventures? Jesus.

I successfully avoided spoilers for this before it aired. Mostly because I didn't really care. Then I saw one trailer and I got kind of excited. It was clear from the trailer that it was going to be pretty cinematic. By the end of the first episode I was really excited for the rest of that week. Great television each night, during the summer after baseball games with the Aeros. It was a great little week.

I even attempted to rewatch some series two during that week, and it was so vastly different in tone and style that I had to just give up halfway through the opening scene. I even told my brother to just skip the first two seasons and go right to Children of Earth. He didn't, which is good, because it got me to go back and rewatch those seasons, and season 2 was definitely worth a second look...not so much that first one.

I got my girlfriend to watch this particular season after she thought it looked kind of cool in a trailer we saw at a movie theater. I told her that I had it on my computer until I could get the blu-ray, and she said she'd watch it with me. Megan was kind of into it, and she has never seen Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, or anything of this nature, but she was rather liking this. She hasn't finished it...and we watched the first episode or two a long while ago, but this is something she wouldn't really watch on her own, only with me. Someday I should start it up again and make her watch the whole thing.

All in all the ending is such a nice wrap up for both Children of Earth and all of Torchwood, that you kind of wonder where they could go from there, but they seem to have comfirmed a full 13 episode fourth series, with Jack returning, so I guess we'll see.

NEXT TIME: Geronimo!

Comments