Doctor Who - The Revival: Series 3 Recap

Series 3 has my favorite feel of any season. If that makes any sense. I like the tone. But While it starts of strong with Smith and Jones and Gridlock, it does fall flat for the Dalek two-parter, Lazarus Experiment, and then 42. Luckily from Human Nature on I think it is fantastic. I like the way everything in this season lead up to the finale, excluding the Dalek episodes.

Smith and Jones we get our new companion, Gridlock we get “You are not alone,” Lazarus we get the age technology the Master uses to turn the Doctor into a hobbit bird mutant, 42 we see his shadow government in affect, Human Nature/Family of Blood we get the fob watch…it all leads to Utopia.

While some moan that John Simm wasn't the Master they were looking for...I loved him. He was manic, mad, funny, dramatic, frightening...and new. He wasn't just rehashing what Delgado or Ainley, or to a lesser extent Roberts, had done in the past...he was new, fresh and different. Jacobi played the Master a lot like Delgado, which as a fan of Delgado I loved...but regenerating into a young compliment to Tennant is the perfect move. Why have a foe fit for Pertwee when we can get one for Tennant?

So despite the missteps, I love this season. Really, 9 out of 13 ain't too bad.

NEXT TIME: The Cricketer's Return

Comments