Hello Dad

Story: The Doctor's Daughter
Written By: Stephen Greenhorn
Length: 45 Minutes
Year: 2008

I've really grown to like this one. Like many fans, when this first came out I was disappointed. I think it still feels like it has too many ideas that are rushed and not fully explored, but I've grown to enjoy all the brilliant little moments for the Doctor, Donna, and Jenny. I think a lot of good things happen, and the storyline about the war between the humans and the Hath, and the reveal of how long the war has been going on is pretty interesting.
Martha is trapped into another adventure with the Doctor, and she gets little to do and is completely wasted in the episode. Also when the Hath dies, and she weeps for it...worst performance she ever gave in this show (I love Martha and the actress, so I'm not being sarcastic at all). Disappointing that in the 5 episodes they returned Martha to the show, she is usually shoved into the background. Kind of symbolic though, since her character was like a transition from the "Doctor's great love, Rose" and "the Doctor's best friend, Donna (who plays an important role from Series 4 on)". Too bad.

So I must admit, I've somewhat changed my tune on this one. I don't think I can deny or change my tune on the Martha plotline (which given more time it could have really worked, because the Hath look awesome), but I think the rest of the episode is actually pretty good.

NEXT TIME: The Historical Figure Episode

Comments